Friday, June 27, 2008

Barbie Toes

Alright. To some of you this post might be a little weird, or even gross, or some of you might think it is pure art. Just remember at all times you may click your exit button and never have to see it again. Also, I am very self concious about my toes. My dad said something about them being bulbous when I was growing up. But because I am nice, I'll show you. You'd better not say anything though.

I've been asked a lot how in the world I make my toes so darn cute. First, thank you! Instead of showing every person individually, I thought I'd let you all get intimate with my toes by showing you a (kind of) step by step blog. Lets begin...

Your cast of characters, if you will. A base color (make it bright and bold!), plain old white, a clear top coat, and we'll refer to the stick as the "tooth-pick thing". I'm pretty sure you can get those at Sally Beauty Supply, and if not you'll have to hunt. I have no idea where I got mine. I have a couple extra so the first ones to bake me cookies will win them :)

You'll want to start by painting your color coat first. Let it dry for AT LEAST 2 hours. If you are a mother, this is easy. Paint, eat lunch, chase your kids, nap time and you're there.

Once you've been patient enough to let it dry, use the flattish end of the tooth-pick thing and get a medium size glob of the white polish (I couldn't get a picture. Lets face it, I'm not a photographer). Make 6 globby dots...one in the middle, and five going around. Make sure they are not flat dots, but have a little "bubble" to them. You'll see why soon. Like so...

Now, with the pointy end of the tooth-pick thing, connect the dots. I ususally start from the middle going out. If you need to, you can add more white so it doesn't look streaky.

Again, take the flattish end and get yourself a smaller size glob. Make three small, but flat, dots following the curve of your toenail. This step is optional but I love it. Its like the icing on the cake. They're starting to look good aren't they?
Let the flower dry for 20 minutes then paint over with a clear top coat to make it all shiny. Don't forget your other little piggys. They need the clear coat too!
Remember, it will probably take you awhile to get it "perfect". But the great thing is, legs are long and no one will see your mistakes from that far away. Just have fun with it!

12 comments:

*C said...

Ok, You're so CUTE!! I love the tutorial!! So fun! I'll have to try this one day {contrary to popular belief, I'm not a prissy primpy girl. Rarely do I paint my toes [I know, YIKES!!]} But I shall give this a try since you have inspired me!! :)

*C said...

Oh and ps: I like the new blog banner you got going there! :) Cute cute!!

Cassandra, James and Madison& Eli said...

Love it Heather. leave it to you to do toenail care on your page.. I love your new header picture! I never do my toes excpet for maybe once a year if Im wearing open toed shoes for that summers wedding. This year is mine so I guess I should do something about my hideous feet and toes!

Erin said...

And you got the wallpaper to match. Way cute.

Gena said...

I just wish I could touch my toes with such as ease as you do! Maybe this will have to be my splurge when this belly is finally gone... and I think your toes are cute, regardless of the polish or not!

Janice said...

You are so fun! I can't believe you blogged about your "bulbous toes":). Very cute though:) Love the new look on the blog too!

Mom

Rachel Holloway said...

WAY CUTE JOB! What a fun and inspirational summer beauty post! :) hehe....might be making me some flowers really soon!

Callie, Shawn and Braxton said...

Classic!! I love it. I'll have to try it when I get the urge to paint my toenails again. I love the new header.

Danelle Grossnickle said...

I have such ugly feet it would be a waste of anyone's time to try to make them cute but you are absolutely the cutest ever! You do have cute toes, if mine looked like yours I might even wear sandals? I love the new blog look and that banner picture is so darn great! How do people come up with ideas like pictures like that? LOVE IT!

The Birds said...

Super Cute!!! You're awesome for doing it yourself. I just run up to the "Royal Nail" and get it done for me because I'm so tragic!!
Love ya,
Chandi

Candace said...

That's exactly what they did when I had a pedicure! I LOVE it! Now I can do it myself. =) They put a tiny little jewel in the middle of the flower which is super cute too..I wonder if you can buy those at the store?

I loooove the new picture on top of your site too! Where did you get those pictures done?

Shinae said...

Hi Heather!

Yes, I do stop by your blog every now and then and I have to say that this is the cutest idea for toes! I'm going to be trying it sometime. Thanks for the advice and steps, I need those! Hope you and your cute little family are doing great!

Shinae