Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Ward-Meade Park

We all had the day off for Presidents day, and could have spent it working on the handful of projects we have going on around the house. But we did that Saturday and the kids just end up sitting around on their electronics all day, so I proposed we do something. Anything!
Topeka is only a couple hours away from here, and my great-great-great-great grandparents were some of the first who settled the area. They built a "mansion" which now stands as a museum, and there is an "old town" surrounding it. I went in 5th grade to visit for a big family reunion and didn't really care about it then, so I was interested in going back and learning more about them.
 So north we went!

 
 The Ward-Meade mansion built by Anthony Ward (my 4th great grandfather)

 Trying to see what was so cool that the big kids were talking about!
 We signed up for a tour, but had some time to kill so we got some ice cream in the old fashioned soda shop. I have a very picture here from about 20 years ago! 
I had to smile because our tour guide, who was supposedly the best, had no idea who my 3rd great grandfather was and insisted he was not born to this Ward family. He seemed genuinely confused as I told him my genealogy and the few facts I knew, even sharing that my great grandmother was born in the home. Oh well!