Monday, September 6, 2010

Forever summer

"Summer is the time when one sheds one's tensions with one's clothes, and the right kind of day is jeweled balm for the battered spirit. A few of those days and you can become drunk with the belief that all's right with the world". ~Ada Louise Huxtable

I love summer and refuse to let it be over. I love being out and doing things. Being busy. Getting tan. Staying out late. Warm air. But...since I know its going to have to come to an end soon, we'll live it up as much as possible.

This morning I drug my family out of bed, still in pj's, at 6am to drive an hour away to go to the Colorado Balloon Classic. Its really all I wanted to do this weekend, so my husband sweetly obliged.

When we got there at 7:15am all of the balloons were being deflated and we were kinda bummed! Turns out it was too windy for them to fly so they just decided to pack it up. We still enjoyed exploring a new place though!


...and we went to breakfast which made it even better!

After coming home and napping (or not so much napping) we packed a dinner and went to check out Red Rocks Park to go hiking. Surprisingly its not far from our house at all, and is BEAUTIFUL! The amphitheater is huge and has a great view. Hope we can go to a concert sometime while we're here!

...and fun stairs to jump down!

Big rocks will never lose their beauty to me!

(Aunt Amy, thanks for the backpack. It ROCKS!)

We saw this cute mama deer and her two babies pretty close to the trail. I'm just glad we didn't run into any rattlesnakes or mountain lions...



And a stop for dinner. We didn't make it around the whole loop of the hike because we had to high tail it back to beat night fall. Definitely going to do it again!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a cute little family!

Unknown said...

Glad you guys are enjoying Colorado. I grew up just a few miles from red rocks. I love that area.

Rachel Holloway said...

What a great day to spend together! Sometimes the backup for a plan that falls through is even better than we could have planned in the first place--and you have definitely shown that! :) What a fun day to explore and just hang out together! :)

Nicole said...

That looks like so much fun! I love that last picture of the three of you! Such a beautiful family :)

Janice said...

I wanna come play!

Cassandra, James and Madison& Eli said...

Beautiful! Your family is always doing something together and makes me jealous. :) Time sure flies though so take it all in. and I will keep you update dated on the the snack issue, which if theis rain doesn't stop won't be an issue. :)