A few months back my friend Debra asked me if I wanted to climb a 14er with her. I'll be honest that even though I said yes I had no clue what I was signing up for, but it kind of sounded like a hike and that sounded do-able. She had told me she was going with a group of knee and hip replacement patients, so I figured it couldn't be too bad!
Even though Mt. Sherman wasn't too far from our house, we spent the night at a motel since the hike was at 6am and I sure didn't want to get up at 3am to drive there! When we arrived (after a pretty rocky ascent on the dirt/boulder filled roads) there was only a handful of people there. The group was supposed to be as big as 80 people and finally around 6:45 people started arriving.
Even though Mt. Sherman wasn't too far from our house, we spent the night at a motel since the hike was at 6am and I sure didn't want to get up at 3am to drive there! When we arrived (after a pretty rocky ascent on the dirt/boulder filled roads) there was only a handful of people there. The group was supposed to be as big as 80 people and finally around 6:45 people started arriving.
This was the first tough spot where a lot of people were turning around. We decided to brave it and reevaluate on the other side. It took us some time, but we conquered it!
I was really impressed at the kindness and encouragement that other hikers offered, even those not in our group. Absolutely at no time did anyone make us feel like we were in the way (even though we probably were a good majority of the time) and people on the way down cheered us on. It was an awesome experience!
I was really impressed at the kindness and encouragement that other hikers offered, even those not in our group. Absolutely at no time did anyone make us feel like we were in the way (even though we probably were a good majority of the time) and people on the way down cheered us on. It was an awesome experience!
Want to see what the rest of the terrain looked like on the way up?
Just after the half way point and climbing over what we thought was the peak (3 times) Debra looked ahead at yet another steep hill and said she just couldn't do it anymore. I knew this was a huge goal of hers and I wasn't about to let her quit now. I decided that if I carried her pack then that would get her movin' up that mountain and it did!
Finally! The top! It took us longer than we expected and honestly people probably made it up and back by the time we made it up. But the goal was to go all the way and we did! I'm so proud of Debra and her accomplishment. It was not an easy task!
With only a few minor injuries sustained and completely numb hands, the rest of the hike back down was a breeze. I was just glad to be able to sit in a car for 2 hours!

5 comments:
Way to go Heather!! That is amazing. You really do inspire me. you look Amazing!
Seriously SO impressed and amazed by you! What an awesome friend you are! :) And again, I can't thank you enough for letting us stay! Although we've only met a time or two in person, I truly feel I know you so well! :) You were SO generous to us and I cannot find the words to express it correctly. But please know, if you're ever Texas bound, you've got a place to stay! :)
You are killing me girl! Look at you go miss skinny minnie! You're awesome!
You ladies are awesome! Good thing you're in smokin shape so you could carry an extra pack! Way to go!!
Look at you go! Those are amazing views, and what an accomplishment.
Post a Comment